Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Roots of Education are Bitter, but the Fruit is Sweet

If I were to be a character in Raphael's masterpiece "The School of Athens", I would be Aristotle. In the painting all the lines of perspective point to Aristotle and his teacher Playto, who are deep into discussion. One can argue that Playto and Aristotle are the focus point of this fresco because they represent the two different ways of thinking during the Classical World. Playto is more intrigued with the spiritual world, while Aristotle is more interested in the tangible. Although I am interested in both concepts, majority of my curiosity lies on what surrounds me. Like Aristotle I am interested in physics, poetry, theater, music, biology and zoology. For a deeper understanding in these fields I have annotated many poems and literature. I have studied the basics of biology and zoology in Science, and I participated in Starship; which gave me a deeper understanding of physics. Aristotle, was not only a student of Playto, but the teacher of Alexander the Great. Although I have not taught, and most likely will not teach such a significant figure, I still consider myself to be not only a student, but a teacher. I am an enthusiastic learner, and I also enjoy sharing my knowledge. When I can, I attempt to help my peers outside of school, or in class, when the teacher is busy. When I visit my little cousins, I also try to help them with their homework. Above all the similarities I have with Aristotle, our greatest commonality, is our agreement that, "The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet."- Aristotle

No comments: